Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ski Run - 5/29/10

We had a great ski run yesterday. Just Jenny, Abigail and I on the boat. It was a day of first in that it was Abigail's first ever day to "swim", she floated in her life vest with both Jenny and I. It was also the first ski run for me on my new-to-me '03 O'Brien Mapple Slalom ski.

Started off with a slalom run on the new ski. I bought the ski blank and bought a new HO Venom front binding for it as well. The binding was a little loose at the toe compared to my old Vision binding. So the first run was a bit shaky getting used to the faster ski and the movement in my binding. After two runs on slalom, Abigail swam for a few minutes. Then Jenny got out for her first run.

She did well for two runs on slalom, getting back into the swing of skiing. I then made two more passes on slalom that were much better. I moved back to 15 off for the first run so that I could get a more gradual turn and find the sweet spot of the ski. Once I was able to do that I moved back to 22 off for the next pass and it felt much more comfortable. I didn't yet go all out though since I usually do not do that unless there is someone else in the boat with Jenny. Too many injuries from hard slalom spills.

Jenny made another two passes on slalom and really looked good. She is getting enough slack on her strong side turn to get the rope in the water. Her turn looks great and she just needs to trust the ski a little more coming out of the turn. Like most all of us slalom skiers, her weak side is a little behind. Once she gives more control to the ski though she will be ready to go 15 off. It is so awesome to see how far she has come, she really looks great.

Abigail "swam" a little more then she got to drink a bottle of formula. No skiing for her this time, want to make sure we have someone else in the boat when we do that. I finished up the day riding two backwards. Crossed both wakes before my legs finally gave out. Getting in the boat Jenny made a comment that proves how much of a skier she is. Skiing backwards we passed a boat that was getting their riders ready to go on a tube. When I got in the boat she looked back at them an said "That's a shame, those kids on the tube are old enough to be skiing." Proof right there that Waco should be able to support my idea for a Day Trip Water Ski School.

More on that later. Hopefully I'll be posting again tomorrow after a morning trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment