Saturday, October 17, 2009

Finally...No Rain! / Excerpt from 2004

Well, it has been a long time since we had sunshine but that is what we had yesterday afternoon. Supposed to continue with sunshine for a few days before we have a chance of rain again. To give you an idea of just how much it has rained over the past few weeks, our lake started out about 3 feet below normal and 2 days ago topped out at over 3 feet above normal. I've had enough for now!

Anyways, we have a pretty big day of stuff planned since it will be our first non-rainy Saturday in awhile. Not sure if we will get on the lake because of all the outdoors catching up we have to do. So here is a start to the 2004 passages from the Lake Tenkiller Journal #3.

Tenkiller 2004
July 25th, 2004

We arrived yesterday to inches & inches of rain, so after we dried out, skied; we decided to find the book. We are sitting around after dinner celebrating Jesse Griffin's birthday (Jenny's Dad). Whose all here, you ask? Me - Natalie & my dog Sadie (note from Rebekah about misspelling of "whose" above by Natalie)

Who IS all here?
Nick - for the first time.
Jerry - boat driver extraordinaire
Jenny - Jerry's boat driver (I learned from him!)
Baylie & Mollie (the pups) & one on the way. (Rebekah: she means a little Snider)
Rebekah - self proclaimed grammar pro
Travis - Rebekah recruited rookie
Kathy - I've heard that sleeping to the sound of rain on the roof is peaceful but last night was RIDICULOUS!
Jesse - Jenny's dad (the one with the birthday today) with Nancy, Alex, Jimmy & Billie and the metal detector ($.35 to $.15 for Ron so far) we'll find the treasure some day.
Nancy - Having a great time!
Billie Bowman - Beautiful country, but so cold.
Jim Bowman & Willie - Like the scenery and the temperature
Alex Griffin - This dragon ball z game is fun. Gohans the best.
Ron - The above fellow caught a fish. All the others made the best company of all. This year has been one of the best.

Now that everyone has written, I'll write a bit about the day. Dad just fell out of his chair while he was getting up. "No twists" he said. Whether it's collecting all the wood in OK for the fire or searching for buried treasure, that guy always keeps you laughing.
Today was the first ski run. I started out on some broken skis, to see if they were ok for Travis to ski on. Jerry said, (and I quote!), "I'd rather kill my sister than him. Well...it wouldn't kill you, just hurt you." Thanks, Jer! Anyway, I skied, then Nat. Lee wakeboarded after that, and displayed some very obscure hand signals. One was interpreted to mean - chop it up and then drive through it. - and after Lee fell in the midst of all the waves, his response was "What the *@? was that?" His signal apparently meant - go to the flatter water. I won't mention who misinterpreted the signal. Travis then got in (first time skiing in a number of years) and got up on the 2nd try. Boat driver said he (Travis) listens well. I'm glad I'm marrying someone who is good at taking directions!
And so I begin my last year at Tenkiller as a Snider!
--Rebekah

In my defense, I offered Rebekah a chance to keep her last name, but she said no because it would take too long to sign Rebekah Snider-Leger.
Rebekah's been talking about this place since we've been together - and I'm so glad to be here with her and her family. But camping isn't camping unless something goes wrong, and we've had rain, unusual and unexpected cold, flooding, our tent leaked and leaned (we have pictures), and it's only day two. I have found that finding a leak-proof tent is a priority, that I'm quite the horsshoe, or horse shoe, player, and that I'm with good people. I'm happy to be an addition to this family.
--Travis Leger


Thankfully we are at a point in the Journal where we have more information on each day, so I'll leave just one day's notes in this post. Next week we will finish up 2004, unfortunately it was ended abruptly.

It is really nice though to look back at these passages and know that we have captured the first times that people have been exposed to the great Lake Tenkiller. It is an amazing place.

More to come next week, unless we get on the lake today.

Jerry

1 comment: